Loliwe - Revisited on Blogspot

It was in the mid 1960's when we went to the small railway station about ten miles outside of the dusty little town where we then lived. I was about four years old, maybe less. Then it came huffing and puffing, pumping thick plumes of smoke and steam into the pale Free State skies. It grew in size as it came closer and, finally, it drew into the station after blowing the whistle with an unexpected shriek. Letting of steam, the plume that emanated engulfed me completely. I was a bit surprised but awestruck at the same time.  You know guys, even when small, can be intrigued by sewing machines, lawnmowers, bulldozers, aeroplanes and trains.


.


Loliwe. (video) Stimela. Train  The picture above shows you a Class 25 NC steam locomotive.  These used to pull most of the trains that I had traveled upon as a youngster and they were fast.  I happened to be on the train that recorded the highest speed ever with passengers on board in South Africa, well over three decades ago.


The Trans-Karoo took me to war and brought me back during me compulsory two year conscription. It took me on holiday, to funerals and weddings, to study and to return to loved ones. It will always have a special place in my heart.


     


My own favourite was the Garrat articulated engine that was ideal for bends, twists and turns. The Loco where these were kept and serviced was close to the home that I grew up in, but they also frequented my uncle's Garden Route farm where there was a little station. Train spotting has always been a favourite pastime and a did harbour a fondness for these metal creatures.


South Africans sing when we are happy, or when we are sad, when we are working or at leisure. Possibly the most well-know train song is Shosholoza (YouTube)


No wonder the current tourist class overnight train is also called Shosholoza Meyl.


Before I post much more on trains and my own experiences as a railway passenger, please feel free to add your own memories.







Comments

Popular Posts